• News
  • Film and TV
  • Music
  • Tech
  • Features
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Weird
  • Community
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Australians Forced To Evacuate After Areas Endure Nearly A Year's Worth Of Rain In A Day

Home> News

Published 20:26 4 Jul 2022 GMT+1

Australians Forced To Evacuate After Areas Endure Nearly A Year's Worth Of Rain In A Day

More than 30,000 people have had to evacuate due to floods

Emily Brown

Emily Brown

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Thousands of people in Australia have been forced to evacuate after Sydney and surrounding areas were hit with torrential rain and flooding.

Authorities evacuated residents after the heavy rains forced dams to overflow and waterways to swell over their banks, causing water to flood streets and buildings.

The disaster marks Australia's fourth round of flooding in less than 18 months following similar disasters in March 2021 and March and April 2022.

In just 24 hours, some areas between Newcastle, located north of Sydney, and Wollongong to the south of Sydney had more than 39 inches of rain, while others had more than 59 inches.

These rainfall totals are nearly equivalent to the average annual rainfall for coastal areas of New South Wales, according to Australia's Bureau of Meteorology manager Jane Golding, per CBS News. For comparison, the annual rainfall average in the United Kingdom last year was 42 inches, Statista reports.

Advert

As the flooding continued, Emergency Management Minister Murray Watt commented: "The latest information we have is that there's a very good chance that the flooding will be worse than any of the other three floods that those areas had in the last 18 months."

Some areas have had nearly a year's worth of rain.
Alamy

As many as 32,000 people have been impacted by evacuation orders, according to New South Wales state Premier Dominic Perrottet, and the number is expected to rise throughout the week. Golding said the system generating the weather showed signs of easing tomorrow (5 July), though rain has been forecast across New South Wales' coast throughout the week.

As well as the heavy rainfall, strong winds have brought down trees which have caused damage to rooftops and blocked roads. Emergency services have already had to make numerous rescues after receiving calls for help, and residents have been advised against undertaking any unnecessary travel.

Theresa Fedeli, mayor of Camden, described the situation as devastating and said the town was 'in disbelief' at the flooding.

Per Sky News, she continued: "Most of them have just come out of the last flood, getting their homes back in place, their businesses back in place and unfortunately we are saying it is happening again."

One man is reported to have died after being rescued from an overflowing river in western Sydney on Sunday. Another man was killed after a kayak capsized on the Parramatta river near Canada Bay, though this incident does not yet appear to have been linked to the weather.

If you have a story you want to tell, send it to UNILAD via [email protected]  

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Weather, Australia, World News

Emily Brown
Emily Brown

Emily Brown is UNILAD Editorial Lead at LADbible Group. She first began delivering news when she was just 11 years old - with a paper route - before graduating with a BA Hons in English Language in the Media from Lancaster University. Emily joined UNILAD in 2018 to cover breaking news, trending stories and longer form features. She went on to become Community Desk Lead, commissioning and writing human interest stories from across the globe, before moving to the role of Editorial Lead. Emily now works alongside the UNILAD Editor to ensure the page delivers accurate, interesting and high quality content.

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

19 mins ago
an hour ago
7 hours ago
8 hours ago
  • Kyle Mazza/Anadolu via Getty Images
    19 mins ago

    Donald Trump accuses SCOTUS of being ‘swayed by foreign interests’ after tariff snub

    The angry accusation came after SCOTUS ruled 6-3 that his decision to implement sweeping global tariffs was unconstitutional.

    News
  • JakePaul/Instagram
    an hour ago

    Jake Paul issues grim health update two months after Anthony Joshua knockout

    The boxer revealed he was still paying the price for his December defeat as he shared news of his recovery with fans

    News
  • SAUL LOEB / AFP via Getty Images
    7 hours ago

    Trump administration faces setback as Supreme Court make huge call on global tariffs

    Trump said he was 'ashamed' of certain members of the court

    News
  • Getty Stock Image
    8 hours ago

    Airlines don't let pilots have beards or facial hair for an important safety reason

    Pilots working at the biggest US carriers like Southwest, Delta and United are not allowed to have beards due to an old rule

    News
  • Climber who ‘left girlfriend to freeze to death' on top of mountain details final conversation they had
  • Horrifying map shows the surprising areas in US which are most at risk of wildfires
  • Urgent warning to these areas as hurricane moving towards US has potential for ‘catastrophic damage’
  • Harrowing footage shows aftermath of Hurricane Melissa as Jamaica is declared a disaster area