unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Experts say missing teen who jumped off cruise ship into ‘shark infested’ waters likely suffered concussion
Home>News
Updated 07:30 8 Jun 2023 GMT+1Published 07:29 8 Jun 2023 GMT+1

Experts say missing teen who jumped off cruise ship into ‘shark infested’ waters likely suffered concussion

He was celebrating his high school graduation with friends on a sunset cruise when he went overboard

Jess Hardiman

Jess Hardiman

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Facebook/Drew Sutton/WBRZ

Topics: US News

Jess Hardiman
Jess Hardiman

Jess is Entertainment Desk Lead at LADbible Group. She graduated from Manchester University with a degree in Film Studies, English Language and Linguistics. You can contact Jess at [email protected].

X

@Jess_Hardiman

Advert

Advert

Advert

Experts believe Cameron Robbins - the teenager who went missing after jumping off a boat in the Bahamas - may have suffered a concussion.

Robbins, 18, was celebrating his high school graduation with friends on a sunset cruise on 24 May when he went overboard – allegedly for a dare – into shark-infested waters at around 9.40pm.

Despite the best efforts of the Royal Bahamas Defence Force, with the assistance of the US Coast Guard Southeast and Royal Bahamas Defence Force, the search for the teen was called off three days later.

Advert

After being presumed dead, his family held a memorial service for him on Sunday (4 June), with parents William and Shari, saying they are ‘mourning’ their ‘funny and kind-hearted son’.

Earlier this week, sea rescue experts said they don’t believe Robbins came into contact with sharks, with Brian Trascher, vice president and spokesperson for the United Cajun Navy - which has worked alongside Cameron’s family during the rescue efforts - saying: “We’ve consulted with oceanography and fisheries experts.

Cameron Robbins was last seen on 24 May after jumping off the boat.
Instagram/@cam_robbins3

“They don’t believe … that he came in contact with any type of shark or predatory marine life.

“And until we get better video or something more conclusive, that’s going to be our position.”

Now there is also a theory that he may have got concussion when he jumped overboard.

Jim Spears, a swim safety expert, told Inside Edition: “When he jumped into the water, he could have hit his head on the boat, he could have hit his head on the water - like slapping the water with his head - either way, it could cause dizziness or confusion.”

United Cajun Navy volunteer Ryan Thrasher, who was part of the search for Robbins, said rescuers didn’t believe he was eaten by sharks because he didn’t seem to be in distress.

Speaking about the moment Robbins started swimming away from the life ring, he also told Inside Edition: “He didn't jolt, he didn't lunge."

Cameron Robbins is now presumed dead.
WBRZ

In the wake of the incident, a GoFundMe was set up for the Robbins family, with the description saying the money was for ‘anything’ they might need.

“Cameron's mother, Shari is an indescribably amazing teacher and her kindness and devotion has helped countless children throughout her career,” it said.

“Please donate as you can and share this fundraiser to support her and her family through this unimaginable situation.”

After being set up on 26 May, the fundraiser has far surpassed its $10,000 target, having drawn in $20,715 in donations at the time of writing.

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • Harry Langer/DeFodi Images via Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Olympic medalist Fred Kerley among 40 Enhanced Games athletes competing for $25 million prize pot

    The first ever Enhanced Games is taking place in Las Vegas and will run over Memorial Day weekend

    News
  • Texas Civil Rights Project
    2 hours ago

    Deported mom of US citizen child with rare brain tumor denied return for specialist treatment

    The parents were detained in February 2025 as they were on their way to the hospital

    News
  • George Rose/Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Michigan man wins $1m on the lottery after 'fortune telling machine' gives him the numbers

    A Zoltar machine gave 56-year-old Stephen Huesgen the winning numbers

    News
  • (Picture: Leukaemia UK / SWNS)
    4 hours ago

    Woman, 19, thought she had a cold but it was actually a deadly form of cancer

    Ayley 'knew something wasn't right' when she fainted during an exam

    News
  • Chilling last words shouted at missing teen after he jumped off cruise ship into shark-infested waters
  • US reveals plan to rescue 17 Americans stuck on board hantavirus-stricken cruise ship
  • $20,000 raised for missing teen's family days after he jumped off cruise ship into shark-infested waters
  • Anna Kepner’s family make major decision over brother after teen died on Carnival cruise ship