unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Funeral home owners finally arrested after almost 200 decomposing bodies were found
Home>News>Crime>True Crime
Published 16:12 11 Nov 2023 GMT

Funeral home owners finally arrested after almost 200 decomposing bodies were found

Funeral home owners were arrested for multiple crimes, after 190 decomposing bodies were found at their site.

Mia Williams

Mia Williams

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Wagoner County Sheriff

Topics: Crime, US News, Health

Mia Williams
Mia Williams

Mia is an NCTJ-trained journalist at UNILAD with a BA (Hons) in Multimedia Journalism, reporting across breaking news, US politics, entertainment, health, lifestyle, and more. Before joining as a journalist in 2026, she freelanced across the LADbible Group titles for over three years. She is also a documentary producer, having created independent films, and worked as a researcher on series including Stacey Dooley Sleeps Over USA.

X

@miawillsjourno

Advert

Advert

Advert

Funeral home owners were arrested for multiple crimes, following a putrid smell at their house, after 190 decomposing bodies were found at their site.

Jon and Carrie Hallford, the owners of Return to Nature funeral home, were arrested on Wednesday after police found nearly 200 dead bodies on their premises.

They were charged with four crimes, including abuse of a corpse, theft, money laundering and forgery.

Advert

Concerned neighbours detected a ‘dead animal smell’ coming from the site, and as a result, police went and investigated the property.

190 bodies had been improperly stored, and investigators who are working on the case believe that the malpractice could go as far back as 2019.

Colorado Governor Jared Polis released a statement after the arrests, which said: “I am relieved that criminal charges have been brought against the funeral home owner, and a criminal investigation is proceeding.

“I know this will not bring peace to the families impacted, but we hope the individuals responsible are held fully accountable in a court of law.”

Concerned neighbours detected a ‘dead animal smell’ coming from the site.
WAGONER COUNTY SHERIFF

Fremont County Coroner Randy Keller, detailed that the police were able to so far identify 110 of the bodies found at the estate, leaving 80 bodies still left to be identified.

The team managed to recover identities using fingerprints, dental records and medical devices, and DNA tests were also on hand in cases where their bodies were badly decomposed and not able to be identified using these methods.

So far, at least one family whose relative had been identified have sued Return to Nature funeral home for their illegal malpractice.

Lindsay Maher’s family used their services for the burial of their late grandmother, Yong Anderson, this summer.

She has claimed that the scandalous pair sent her family ‘concrete dust’ instead of the ashes of her grandmother.

Talking to the Daily Mail, she said: “To say my family is horrified and enraged is an understatement.

"I know this will not bring peace to the families impacted."
WAGONER COUNTY SHERIFF

“My grandma’s last wishes were to be cremated and have her ashes spread in the ocean.

“It turns out the ashes we received from Return 2 Nature was actually just concrete dust and my grandma’s body has been at the abandoned building this entire time just decaying next to 114 other bodies of 114 other unsuspecting families.

“They falsified my grandma's death certificate and handed my grieving family concrete dust.”

73-year-old Joyce Pavetti, who lives across from the building, said: “We just assumed it was a dead animal.”

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty Stock Photo
    an hour ago

    Criminal lawyer reveals the one mistake that makes murder suspects appear instantly guilty

    The High Court advocate says that it's the little inconsistencies that give prosecutors the big picture behind a criminal's lies

    News
  • Facebook
    an hour ago

    Wellness coach dies after 'detox' using 'frog poison drug'

    Krystian Trend was taking part in a 'purging' ritual involving a poison secreted in the skins of frogs from 5000 miles away

    News
  • Netflix
    an hour ago

    AI names 'creepiest' series on Netflix and even Stephen King agrees

    Artificial intelligence has found the 'creepiest' show on Netflix and fans think it might be 'the best horror TV show ever made'

    Film & TV
  • James Gilbert/Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Symptoms of sepsis explained as NASCAR driver Kyle Busch dies suddenly aged 41

    Busch died on May 21 at age 41 after being hospitalized hours earlier

    News
  • Funeral home owners sent disturbing texts before almost 200 decomposing bodies were found
  • Police give major update in D4vd case after decomposing body found inside his Tesla trunk
  • MAGA influencer Craig Long arrested on human trafficking charges with more than 200 other people
  • Mom speaks out after her three daughters were found dead following visit with their dad