unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Moscow residents warned to stay at home as rebel mercenary vehicles take over Russia's capital
Home>News
Updated 17:27 24 Jun 2023 GMT+1Published 16:47 24 Jun 2023 GMT+1

Moscow residents warned to stay at home as rebel mercenary vehicles take over Russia's capital

Moscow's mayor has declared Monday a 'non-working day' to minimise risk as Wagner Group forces advance on Russia's capital

Tom Wood

Tom Wood

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: EPA-EFE/REX/Shutterstock/Sky News

Topics: World News, Russia, Ukraine

Tom Wood
Tom Wood

Tom Wood is a LADbible journalist and Twin Peaks enthusiast. Despite having a career in football cut short by a chronic lack of talent, he managed to obtain degrees from both the University of London and Salford. According to his French teacher, at the weekend he mostly likes to play football and go to the park with his brother. Contact Tom on [email protected]

X

@TPWagwim

Advert

Advert

Advert

Residents in Moscow have been told to stay in their homes by the mayor with Wagner Group mercenaries expected enter the city.

The Wagner Group’s leader Yevgeny Prigozhin has called for his mercenaries to rebel against Vladimir Putin’s Russian forces, despite denying accusations that he is staging a coup.

Wagner Group forces are believed to have taken the city of Rostov-on-Don, close to the border with Ukraine.

Moscow mayor, Sergei Sobyanin, has released a statement on Telegram in which he announced that ‘a counter-terrorist operation regime has been declared in Moscow’.

Advert

He said that Monday would be a ‘non-working day’ in order to ‘minimise risks’.

"City services are on high alert," he added.

"The situation is difficult.”

Wagner Group chief Yevgeny Prigozhin.
Planetpix/Alamy Stock Photo

Wagner Group forces are believed to be making their way from central areas of Russia towards the capital, with convoys spotted travelling as far north as Lipetsk.

Travel has also been restricted in the area of Kaluga, which borders the Moscow federal region.

The governor has declared that road traffic will be restricted in some regions.

Vladislav Shapsha wrote: “Please refrain from traveling by private vehicle on these roads unless absolutely necessary.”

So far, there is no indication that Wagner soldiers are in the area, but they are reported to be moving north.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has vowed to punish those involved in the rebellion, calling the actions ‘a knife in the back of our people’.

Security has been significantly increased in Moscow, with some of the city’s bridges closed, as well as popular tourist areas such as Red Square.

The mayor of Moscow also described the security increase as a ‘counter-terrorist operation regime’.

That means that restrictions are in place on the movement of people and transport, police and armed forces have been given the right to search people and vehicles.

As well as that, communications can be monitored and restricted at the request of the authorities, and the population can be evacuated.

Wagner Group soldiers have been fighting alongside Russian forces in Ukraine.
UPI/Alamy Stock Photo

In January of this year, the UK Ministry of Defence estimated that the Wagner Group has around 50,000 fighters, with 40,000 believed to have been convicts and the rest made up of contract mercenaries.

However, a figure quoted by Prigozhin on Friday (23 June) suggests that the group may only have 25,000 soldiers now, as more than 20,000 have reportedly been killed in the fighting in Ukraine.

Russia's military is estimated to have as many as 800,000 soldiers at present, having sustained an estimated 220,000 casualties during the ongoing Ukraine war.

The country may have as many as 250,000 fighters in reserve.

Choose your content:

4 hours ago
5 hours ago
8 hours ago
  • Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    President Trump will not attend son Donald Trump Jr.'s wedding one day before ceremony

    Trump cited 'circumstances pertaining to government' as the reason he will not attend the wedding

    News
  • Theo Wargo/Getty Images
    5 hours ago

    Tom Hardy allegedly fired from MobLand after clashing with producers

    It's reported that Hardy was 'late' to set numerous times, among other issues with producers

    Film & TV
  • Serge
    8 hours ago

    American doctor with Ebola speaks out after WHO declares public health emergency

    The doctor has been described as 'critically ill'

    News
  • Laurent KOFFEL/Gamma-Rapho via Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood actor recalls tense moment Quentin Tarantino threatened Brad Pitt on set

    Bruce Dern described Quentin Tarantino's face as looking 'insanely grave' in the intense exchange

    Film & TV
  • Russia issues 'catastrophic' warning to NATO as it begins nuclear weapon military tests
  • Putin thinks Russia-Ukraine war is 'coming to an end' as he outlines key to success
  • Inside the world’s first AI-governed country that's attracted over 12,000 e-residents
  • Trump issues eerie 3-word warning to Putin over Russia's new nuclear missile test