unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Swimmer Killed In Sydney Shark Attack Identified As 35-Year-Old Brit
Home>News
Updated 08:38 17 Feb 2022 GMTPublished 08:09 17 Feb 2022 GMT

Swimmer Killed In Sydney Shark Attack Identified As 35-Year-Old Brit

A swimmer killed in a shark attack in Sydney has been identified as a 35-year-old Brit named Simon Nellist.

Emily Brown

Emily Brown

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Simon Nellist/Facebook

Topics: no-article-matching, Australia, World News, Animals

Emily Brown
Emily Brown

Emily Brown is UNILAD Editorial Lead at LADbible Group. She first began delivering news when she was just 11 years old - with a paper route - before graduating with a BA Hons in English Language in the Media from Lancaster University. Emily joined UNILAD in 2018 to cover breaking news, trending stories and longer form features. She went on to become Community Desk Lead, commissioning and writing human interest stories from across the globe, before moving to the role of Editorial Lead. Emily now works alongside the UNILAD Editor to ensure the page delivers accurate, interesting and high quality content.

Advert

Advert

Advert

A swimmer killed in a shark attack in Sydney has been identified as a 35-year-old Brit named Simon Nellist.

Emergency services were called to the scene at Buchan Point in Malabar, off Little Bay Beach, on Wednesday, February 16, following reports a swimmer had been involved in an attack.

Authorities searched the scene and 'located human remains in the water' about an hour after the incident took place.

Nellist was said to have suffered 'catastrophic injuries' and was unable to be saved, marking the city’s first unprovoked fatal shark attack in almost 60 years.

He was identified shortly after the incident, and was found to have been in the water to train for a fundraiser named the Malabar Magic Ocean Swim, which was set to take place this weekend.

Advert

Nellist is reported to have been a dive instructor who was about to be married to his girlfriend in Sydney, and who has family in the UK.

He apparently loved the water, with friend Della Ross telling 7News that 'everything that is connected to Simon is connected to the ocean.'

Ross added: 'The news hit us like a truck because he was one of the people who make this earth lighter'.

In the wake of Nellist's death, organisers of the Malabar swim decided to cancel the event.

In a statement cited by 7News, Event Director Robert Lloyd said: 'The organising committee extends our thoughts and prayers to the family of the swimmer who was so tragically taken yesterday. Out of respect for the swimmer and his family, and following wide consultation with Randwick Council and experienced, senior Surf Life Saving personnel, we believe that cancelling the 2022 swim is appropriate.'

Witnesses in the area saw the attack unfold on Wednesday, seeing Nellist 'screaming' and calling for help as he was being attacked.

One person who was on the scene recalled that Nellist was 'swimming across the headland and the shark came at full speed', adding: 'It’s very hard to talk about it because it happened like 10 metres off the rocks.'

Thirteen beaches, mostly across the east coast of the Sydney region, were closed the day after the incident as a precaution against further attacks. In an update shared today, February 17, Randwick mayor Dylan Parker said that there had been no further sightings of the sharks in the area, so beaches have been cleared to re-open from tomorrow.

If you have experienced a bereavement and would like to speak with someone in confidence contact Cruse Bereavement Care via their national helpline on 0808 808 1677 

Choose your content:

a minute ago
an hour ago
5 hours ago
6 hours ago
  • Getty Stock
    a minute ago

    MAFS UK removed from streaming after brides allege rape by onscreen husbands

    Channel 4 has pulled all Married At First Sight UK episodes from its streaming platform after rape allegations surfaced

    News
  • Hajarah Nalwadda/Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Ebola symptoms and how it spreads as officials confirm 131 dead in outbreak

    The current Ebola outbreak has sparked concern among officials after 131 people have died in recent weeks

    News
  • David Mareuil/Anadolu via Getty Images
    5 hours ago

    American tourists arrested after breaking into viral baby monkey Punch’s enclosure

    If convicted they could face up to three years behind bars

    News
  • Holger Leue / Getty Images
    6 hours ago

    Popular cruise stop announces 100% tax hike on incoming passengers

    The mayor of Barcelona announced plans to immediately double the city's tourist tax in a bid to crackdown on tourism

    News
  • Swimmer mauled to death by 13ft great white shark in brutal attack at tourist hotspot
  • American killed in horrific Lisbon streetcar crash identified as college instructor who loved travelling
  • Harrowing video shows man trying to save woman in fatal shark attack as authorities release details
  • Woman who decapitated her mother in brutal attack has prison time reduced as judge makes ruling