• News
  • Film and TV
  • Music
  • Tech
  • Features
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Weird
  • Community
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Teen shares tearful goodbye video before pulled out alive from Turkey earthquake rubble

Home> News

Updated 22:32 19 Feb 2023 GMTPublished 22:11 19 Feb 2023 GMT

Teen shares tearful goodbye video before pulled out alive from Turkey earthquake rubble

Taha Erdem thought he was done for, so he shared his heartbreaking final words with social media.

Rachel Lang

Rachel Lang

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A high schooler in Turkey has been plucked from the rubble of his destroyed home shortly after he posted a heartbreaking goodbye video.

Taha Erdem, 17, thought he was done for, so he took to social media to say goodbye to his friends, family, and survivors.

"I think this is the last video I will ever shoot for you," he said from underneath the collapsed building that used to be his home.

"I am dead if I am not wrong.

Advert

"There is close to 500kg (about 1,000 pounds) on top of my feet. My [feet] are gone. I could have hurt my head when I was getting it out of there."

"We are still shaking.

"Death, my friends, comes at a time when one is least expecting it.

The 17-year-old said to the camera: "There are many things that I regret. May God forgive me of all my sins. If I get out of here alive today there are many things that I want to do.

"We are still shaking."

Speaking to Associated Press (AP), he reflected on what went through his mind when the earthquake happened.

"When I got up on my feet and fell again from the tremors, I understood that an earthquake was happening," he said.

"Our building was collapsed at the 7th, 10th second anyways.

"By the time I was running to the door, I was already under the rubble.

"Separately, in the video, aftershocks were still happening, the roof was collapsing towards me more and more.

"The reason I shot that video was as the roof was getting closer to me I had thought that I was going to die."

The teenager recounted that he thought his family had been killed when he posted the heartbreaking clip.

He said he thought he would soon join them, but he was one of the very first plucked from the rubble 11 days ago, two hours after the 7.8 magnitude quake.

In his chat with AP, the 17-year-old said they were now living in a tent provided by the government, just like hundreds of thousands of others who survived the disaster that struck across southern Turkey and north Syria.

The massive earthquake, which struck on February 6, has left more than one million people homeless.

The death roll now sits at 45,000 people. with the economic cost of the disaster expected to run into billions of dollars, Reuters reports.

Featured Image Credit: Taha Erdem/AP

Topics: World News, News, Good News

Rachel Lang
Rachel Lang

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
5 hours ago
7 hours ago
8 hours ago
  • YouTube/ CBS Boston
    an hour ago

    Bystander recounts disarming and tackling dad who opened fire at Rhode Island hockey match killing two

    Two people and the shooter were killed in the 'tragic event'

    News
  • Thomas IllustrationFuller/NurPhoto via Getty Images
    5 hours ago

    YouTube hit by global outage as thousands of users struggle to access streaming platform

    Over a million users have been unable to access the popular streaming platform after an 'issue with the recommendations system'

    News
  • The View / ABC
    7 hours ago

    Whoopi Goldberg breaks silence over claims she dated Jeffrey Epstein

    The 70 year old was forced to defend herself after appearing 21 times in the latest batch of Epstein files

    Celebrity
  • Axelle/Bauer-Griffin/FilmMagic
    8 hours ago

    Tommy Lee Jones' daughter Victoria's death ruled an ‘accident’ as cause revealed to be cocaine related

    The Academy Award winning actor's daughter tragically passed away on New Year's Day.

    Celebrity
  • Newborn baby gets pulled from the rubble alive after huge Syrian earthquake killed her whole family
  • Influencer who infamously took baby wombat from its mother in viral video now arrested
  • Man had heroic final act before being mauled by shark as witnesses speak out
  • Donald Trump shares AI video of his vision of Gaza which includes bizarre statues and bearded belly dancers