unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Mom sent heartbreaking text to husband after 2-year-old daughter dies in car as temperatures hit 109 degrees
Home>News>US News
Updated 11:57 13 Aug 2024 GMT+1Published 16:28 18 Jul 2024 GMT+1

Mom sent heartbreaking text to husband after 2-year-old daughter dies in car as temperatures hit 109 degrees

Two-year-old Parker Scholtes tragically died on July 9

Niamh Shackleton

Niamh Shackleton

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Pima County Sheriff's Office / Instagram

Topics: News, US News, Parenting, Crime

Niamh Shackleton
Niamh Shackleton

Niamh Shackleton is an experienced journalist for UNILAD, specialising in topics including mental health and showbiz, as well as anything Henry Cavill and cat related. She has previously worked for OK! Magazine, Caters and Kennedy.

X

@niamhshackleton

Advert

Advert

Advert

The devastating text message sent from a mom to her husband upon discovering their lifeless toddler in a hot car has been revealed.

Earlier this month, two-year-old Parker Scholtes had been left to sleep in the car by her father Christopher Scholtes after they returned to their Arizona home from shopping.

Temperatures in the vehicle went on to hit 109 degrees and by the time Parker's mother, Erika Scholtes - a doctor at Banner University Medical Center -came home around 4pm, the little girl was unconscious from the affects of being left in the hot car for too long.

Advert

The AC had been on for the toddler, but the car automatically shuts it off after 30 minutes.

Parker was rushed to hospital but despite medical staff's best efforts, she was later pronounced dead.

Christopher has since been charged with second-degree murder and child abuse.

While he initially claimed that his young daughter had only been in left in the car for 30 minutes, shocking new evidence suggests that Parker had been left in the vehicle for as long as three hours.

It's also alleged that Christopher had been 'distracted by his PlayStation', which lead to him forgetting that the two-year-old was in the car.

Erika and Christopher Scholtes pictured with Parker and their other two daughters. (Instagram)
Erika and Christopher Scholtes pictured with Parker and their other two daughters. (Instagram)

Police also say that surveillance footage shows that the father-of-three failed to check on Parker over this period of time.

Further details in the criminal complaint show text exchanges between Erika and Christopher on the harrowing day Parker died.

As per the Mail Online, Erika is said to have text her husband while Parker was on her way to the hospital: "I told you to stop leaving them in the car, how many times have I told you."

After Parker was confirmed to have died, she sent another text to him that read: "We've lost her, she was perfect."

Christopher replied: "Babe I'm sorry! How could I do this. I killed our baby, this can't be real."

Christopher Scholtes has been charged with second-degree murder. (Pima County Sheriff's Office)
Christopher Scholtes has been charged with second-degree murder. (Pima County Sheriff's Office)

Backing Erika's first text, apparently the couple's other two daughters have told police that it wasn't uncommon for their dad to leave them in the car.

Erika has since labelled Parker's death as a 'big mistake' as she appealed for Christopher to be allowed to stay at home with his family ahead of his hearing next month.

"This was a big mistake and I think that it doesn’t represent him," Erika told a judge. "I just want the girls to see their father - that I don’t have to tell them tonight that they’re going to have to endure another loss."

The judge went on to grant her request. Christopher's preliminary hearing has been set for August 1.

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • Getty Stock Photo
    an hour ago

    20-year-old Walmart receipt shows just how expensive food has got in USA

    The cost of groceries in the US last year stood at $370 per person on average

    News
  • YouTube/Inside Edition
    an hour ago

    Nurse who had a stroke at age 24 reveals symptoms that helped her husband 'save' her

    The young woman was seen to by her colleagues at the hospital she works at

    News
  • YouTube/Inside Edition
    2 hours ago

    Woman in tears revealing how online marketplace listing led to 'stalker' sending disturbing messages and gifts

    Melanie Smith began receiving threatening emails, as well as thousands of texts and online messages from the man

    News
  • EyesWideOpen/Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    The 'world’s most dangerous airport’ is so terrifying only 50 pilots are qualified to land

    Pilots need thousands of hours of experience before they can even attempt to land at the mountainous Paro International Airport

    News
  • Alabama woman accused of shooting husband after getting annoyed at him checking on her following heart surgery
  • Mom of 16-year-old who was lured to his death and filmed dying reveals heartbreaking details
  • Heartbreaking last text message hiker sent wife before being found underneath ledge on 13,000ft mountain
  • Heartbreaking update in case of teen whose body was found days after texting mom 'help'