unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Footage shows ‘clear’ winner of $2 billion Powerball ticket amid legal battle, lawyer claims
Home>News>US News
Updated 15:32 14 Nov 2023 GMTPublished 15:21 14 Nov 2023 GMT

Footage shows ‘clear’ winner of $2 billion Powerball ticket amid legal battle, lawyer claims

Edwin Castro's lawyer says that he's seen the footage.

Niamh Shackleton

Niamh Shackleton

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Facebook/ YouTube/FOX 11 Los Angeles

Topics: News, US News, Money

Niamh Shackleton
Niamh Shackleton

Niamh Shackleton is an experienced journalist for UNILAD, specialising in topics including mental health and showbiz, as well as anything Henry Cavill and cat related. She has previously worked for OK! Magazine, Caters and Kennedy.

X

@niamhshackleton

Advert

Advert

Advert

New footage of Edwin Castro allegedly shows him purchasing the winning Powerball ticket after he was accused of stealing it.

Castro won a whopping $2.1 billion in November 2022 and went on to pick the option of taking a lump sum of $997.6 million before taxes, marking the biggest lottery win in American history.

He's since purchased a series of luxury items - including a $25.5 million estate in Hollywood Hills and a vintage white Porsche for $250,000.

Advert

But earlier this year, Castro was hit with allegations that he wasn't the one to purchase the winning ticket.

A man called Jose Rivera alleged that it was in fact his ticket and that it somehow ended up in Castro's hands.

Rivera claimed that he bought the ticket, but then had it stolen from him by a man who goes by 'Reggie', who was later identified as his landlord, Urachi F. Romero.

He said he tried to get his ticket back but was told that Romero had lost it, though would split the winnings with him if the ticket turned out to be good.

At the time of his complaint, Rivera said the security footage at the store where the lottery ticket was bought will prove he's the one who actually paid for it in the first place - and now said footage has been seen.

Edwin Castro won an incredible $2.1 billion lottery jackpot last year.
Facebook

According to Castro's lawyer, David De Paoli, the footage shows Castro as the 'clear' winner of the ticket that was purchased at Joe’s Service Center in Altadena, California.

While the video hasn't been publicly released, Paoli says he's viewed it for himself.

“I have personally viewed the CCTV footage and it is crystal clear," told the The US Sun in a statement.

"Edwin Castro purchased the winning Powerball ticket without question.”

According to the publication, Rivera has now been charged with filing a false police report.

He's set to appear in court on December 1.

Jose Rivera claimed that he'd bought the winning ticket.
Francine Orr/Getty

Pasadena Police Department has said of the case: "Defendant Jose Rivera Campos (aka Jose Campos Rivera) was charged with a violation of Penal Code, section 148.5(a) (filing a false crime report) in case 3PD01873."

With Rivera's case now pending, California Lottery Commission said that it cannot comment on the matter - but did say that that it 'remains confident that Edwin Castro is the rightful winner of the $2.04 billion Powerball jackpot from last November'.

UNILAD has contacted Pasadena Police Department for further comment.

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
7 hours ago
8 hours ago
  • Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Vanessa Trump announces breast cancer diagnosis in 'personal health update' after undergoing procedure

    The former wife of Donald Trump Jr, and current girlfriend of Tiger Woods, shared the news of her diagnosis on Wednesday

    News
  • Instagram/@katetolo
    7 hours ago

    Biohacker Bryan Johnson reveals what his girlfriend will do on $2 million per year anti-aging experiment

    Kate Tolo has been dubbed the 'female Bryan Johnson' by the controversial bio-hacker

    News
  • YouTube/This Morning
    7 hours ago

    Woman, 26, had her entire lower eyelid removed after mistaking deadly cancer for blocked pore

    Jessica is now campaigning to remove the tax on sunscreen products in the UK

    News
  • Facebook
    8 hours ago

    Boyfriend of woman shot dead by her dad over 'arguing about Donald Trump' breaks silence

    Lucy Johnson was fatally shot by her father in Texas in January 2025

    News
  • Paris Jackson earns huge $625,000 win in legal battle over Michael Jackson's estate
  • What happens if no one claims lottery winnings as Powerball nears $1,000,000,000 jackpot
  • Why five US states don't sell lottery tickets as Powerball reaches $1,000,000,000 jackpot
  • Lawyer breaks down Charlie Kirk alleged assassin's 'ironic' legal victory