• News
  • Film and TV
  • Music
  • Tech
  • Features
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Weird
  • Community
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Miss Universe contestants complain about being forced to do invasive 'body check'

Home> News> World News

Published 02:40 10 Aug 2023 GMT+1

Miss Universe contestants complain about being forced to do invasive 'body check'

Some of the women said they were then photographed topless.

Keryn Donnelly

Keryn Donnelly

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Six contestants in the Miss Universe Indonesia pageant have filed complaints with police, accusing the organisers of sexual harassment.

The contestants of the beauty pageant, which was held in Jakarta from July 29 to August 3, said the organisers asked them to strip to their underwear for physical examinations in a room with more than 20 people, including men.

The contestants' lawyer, Mellisa Anggraeni, said five of the contestants were then photographed topless.

One of the complainants told a press conference on Monday that she had been asked to pose inappropriately, including by opening her legs.

"I felt like I was being peeked on, I was very confused and uncomfortable," she said.

Advert

Another contestant said she felt like her 'rights had been violated'.

"It has affected me mentally. I have had trouble sleeping," the contestant said.

Local television stations blurred the women's faces to protect their identity.

Anggraini told AFP that officials from the licence holder of Miss Universe in Indonesia, PT Capella Swastika Karya, told the contestants they had 'to examine any scars, cellulite or tattoos on their bodies'.

"The finalists were not aware that they would be subjected to such a procedure, as it was originally planned to be a fitting," she said.

Miss Universe Indonesia has since released a statement online saying they are 'actively investigating' the claims.

“We are actively investigating the allegations that have been reported in the mass media. We will conduct a thural (sic) investigation and review the allegations made against us,” the statement reads.

It continues: “We will promptly take the necessary stance and actions regarding this issue to clarify and ascertain the truth.”

According to the ABC, the Miss Universe Organisation says it has been made aware of the allegations and was looking into the matter.

“Miss Universe takes allegations of sexual abuse and impropriety extremely seriously. Providing a safe place for women is the Miss Universe Organisation's utmost priority,” the organisation said.

The beauty pageant was held in Jakarta to select Indonesia’s representative for the annual Miss Universe competition, which will be held in El Salvador later this year.

The judges awarded 23-year-old model and business graduate Fabiënne Nicole Groeneveld with the national title.

Anggraini believes many more contestants will come forward over the following days.

Featured Image Credit: Instagram/missuniverse_id

Topics: News, World News

Keryn Donnelly
Keryn Donnelly

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
3 hours ago
7 hours ago
10 hours ago
  • Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic
    2 hours ago

    Bad Bunny enters his leading man era with first lead role in historical drama about Puerto Rico

    The new project will mark the first time the singer has taken on a leading role on the silver screen.

    Celebrity
  •  James Devaney/GC Images
    3 hours ago

    Sandra Bullock's The Blind Side co-star Quinton Aaron ‘fully alert’ after suffering spinal stroke

    The new health update comes just one month after the actor was left fighting for his life in intensive care

    Celebrity
  • Robin L Marshall/Getty Images
    7 hours ago

    Jennifer Garner says she wants to ‘wipe the floor’ with Judy Greer as star admits she’s 'afraid of her'

    The Last Thing He Told Me star made the unexpected admission as the pair reunited over twenty years after 13 Going On 30 fame.

    Film & TV
  • Lionsgate
    10 hours ago

    Sophie Turner and Kit Harington both gag after filming passionate kissing scene for new movie

    The Game of Thrones alumni are now playing a romantic couple in an upcoming movie, leading to an amusing moment on set

    Celebrity
  • Miss Universe pageant executive's future revealed after 'disrespectful' comments to contestant
  • Scientist claims to have evidence 'our entire universe is trapped inside a black hole'
  • University student president speaks out after being forced to resign over controversial comments about Barron Trump
  • Passenger on ‘poop cruise from hell’ recalls the unimaginable acts they were forced to do