unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Search for missing MH370 plane to restart based on ‘credible’ proposal, says Malaysia
Home>News>World News
Published 08:33 6 Nov 2024 GMT

Search for missing MH370 plane to restart based on ‘credible’ proposal, says Malaysia

Flight MH370 went missing in 2014

Callum Jones

Callum Jones

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: National Geographic/MOHD RASFAN/AFP via Getty Images

Topics: World News, Travel

Callum Jones
Callum Jones

Advert

Advert

Advert

The search for the missing MH370 plane is set to be relaunched based on a 'credible' proposal, according to Malaysia.

Malaysia Airlines flight 370 went missing on March 8, 2014 - an event which has mystified the world ever since.

The flight took off from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, for Beijing, China, with 239 passengers and members of crew on board.

Advert

But not long into the flight, radars were left unable to locate the plane and it was never seen again.

Several pieces of wreckage believed to be from flight MH370 have been found since 2014, however, formal investigations led by Australia and Malaysia have failed to provide answers as to what happened - leading a few experts to come up with their own.

As for the official report as to what happened with the aircraft, it had been suggested the aircraft had turned off electronic signal communications and executed a U-less than an hour into its flight before plummeting somewhere into the ocean.

People paying respects to those lost ten years on (Supian Ahmad/NurPhoto via Getty Images)
People paying respects to those lost ten years on (Supian Ahmad/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

Now, Malaysia is planning to relaunch the search for the flight, with officials describing a 'credible' proposal focused in the southern Indian Ocean.

On November 5, Minister of Transport Anthony Loke confirmed the country was in advanced talks with marine company Ocean Infinity over a plan to resume the search off the coast of Western Australia.

“Based on the latest information and analysis from experts and researchers, Ocean Infinity’s search proposal is credible and can be considered by the Malaysian government as the flight’s official registrar," Loke said.

"The terms and costs requested are in the same draft agreement currently being negotiated between the government and Ocean Infinity. Should it be finalised, cabinet approval will be required, and I will make a public announcement."

MH370 disappeared in 2014 (Ted ALJIBE/AFP/Photo by TED ALJIBE/AFP via Getty Images)
MH370 disappeared in 2014 (Ted ALJIBE/AFP/Photo by TED ALJIBE/AFP via Getty Images)

The Malaysian government announced earlier this year that it was considering resuming the search for MH370 - but only if they are provided with 'credible evidence' of the plane's location.

Many are working on locating the aircraft, including retired British aerospace engineer Richard Godfrey, who is using pioneering technology to aid his search.

'Weak signal propagation reporter' [WSPR] is designed to test the strength of radio frequencies, as transmitters around the world send thousands of low power radio pulses every couple of minutes.

Godfrey has been working to use these signals to find MH370, having pinpointed 130 disturbances in the WSPR signals over the Southern Indian Ocean.

Choose your content:

an hour ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • Theo Wargo/Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Tom Hardy allegedly fired from MobLand after clashing with producers

    It's reported that Hardy was 'late' to set numerous times, among other issues with producers

    Film & TV
  • Serge
    3 hours ago

    American doctor with Ebola speaks out after WHO declares public health emergency

    The doctor has been described as 'critically ill'

    News
  • Laurent KOFFEL/Gamma-Rapho via Getty Images
    4 hours ago

    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood actor recalls tense moment Quentin Tarantino threatened Brad Pitt on set

    Bruce Dern described Quentin Tarantino's face as looking 'insanely grave' in the intense exchange

    Film & TV
  • Getty Stock Image
    4 hours ago

    New research reveals surprising effect GLP-1s could have on cancer patients

    There appears to be a number of other health benefits to taking GLP-1 drugs like Ozempic and Wegovy

    News
  • Three most plausible MH370 theories as government resumes search for missing plane 11 years after disappearance
  • Flight attendant warns of three-letter code word you don't want to hear on a plane
  • Spirit Airlines flight attendant has grim warning for everyone using plane tray tables
  • Update on search for MH370 as government resumes investigation 11 years after plane’s disappearance