unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Passenger recalls ‘dystopian’ scene after man died ‘jumping’ overboard of world’s biggest cruise ship
Home>News>World News
Updated 10:02 29 May 2024 GMT+1Published 07:24 29 May 2024 GMT+1

Passenger recalls ‘dystopian’ scene after man died ‘jumping’ overboard of world’s biggest cruise ship

A passenger onboard Royal Caribbean's Icon of the Seas reveals there was some confusion onboard about the results of the rescue mission

Poppy Bilderbeck

Poppy Bilderbeck

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Joe Raedle/Getty Images / X/@davidcanter

Topics: Health, Royal Caribbean, Travel, World News

Poppy Bilderbeck
Poppy Bilderbeck

Poppy Bilderbeck is a freelance journalist with words in Daily Express, Cosmopolitan UK, LADbible, UNILAD and Tyla. She is a former Senior Journalist at LADbible Group. She graduated from The University of Manchester in 2021 with a First in English Literature and Drama, where alongside her studies she was Editor-in-Chief of The Tab Manchester. Poppy is most comfortable when chatting about all things mental health, is proving a drama degree is far from useless by watching and reviewing as many TV shows and films as possible.

Advert

Advert

Advert

A Royal Caribbean Icon of the Seas passenger has spoken out about what it was like when they first realized a man had gone overboard.

On Sunday (May 26) morning, a man went overboard on the world's largest cruise ship and a passenger has since spoken out about the 'dystopian' scenes onboard.

A man went overboard from the cruise on 26 May (Joe Raedle/ Getty Images)
A man went overboard from the cruise on 26 May (Joe Raedle/ Getty Images)

The cruise ship had departed the day before (May 25) from Miami, Florida and was set sail for Roatan in Honduras, expected to arrive on May 27.

Advert

The vessel was around 300 miles from Miami when a man was reported as having gone overboard.

According to the New York Post, passengers said the man had 'jumped' from the 1,200-foot-long cruise.

Videos emerged online of a rescue boat being launched in a bid to find the man, the Royal Caribbean cruise stopped for two hours and the Coast Guard was also called to assist.

A man was later recovered from the sea, the Coast Guard confirming in a statement to the Post: "The cruise ship deployed one of their rescue boats, located the man and brought him back aboard. He was pronounced deceased.

"Beyond assisting in the search, the US Coast Guard did not have much involvement in this incident."

However, a passenger has since revealed there was confusion surrounding the results of the rescue mission back on board the ship.

Passengers shared videos of a search and rescue boat going out to find the man (X/ @GenAIChad)
Passengers shared videos of a search and rescue boat going out to find the man (X/ @GenAIChad)

Zachary Normandin was on board the cruise when the man went overboard.

The 31-year-old told The Post he and around 300 of the cruise's up to 7,000 passengers were eating dinner when they were informed the man had been found.

Normandin said: "Everyone in the dining room clapped and we’re like ‘Yeah!' We assumed that the guy was fine."

And guests carried on with their celebrating, unaware the man had actually ended up passing away.

The ship then kept going on its journey, Normandin adding he 'thought' they'd be 'going straight back to Miami' but 'everything just kept on going'.

"I think people we’re just trying not to think about it, maybe, I don’t know," he added, reflecting on people continuing to just 'go about their day' as 'kind of dystopian'.

Royal Caribbean said in a statement: "Our care team is actively providing support and assistance to the guest’s loved ones during this difficult time.

"For the privacy of the guest and their family, we have no additional details to share."

UNILAD has contacted Royal Caribbean for further comment.

Choose your content:

4 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty Stock
    4 mins ago

    Symptoms of gonorrhea as cases of STI reaches record high across Europe

    The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) said that cases of syphilis have also doubled over a 10-year period

    News
  • Netflix
    an hour ago

    New Mackenzie Shirilla jail cell call to her mom released after Netflix doc revealing what she's afraid of

    Mackenzie Shirilla was sentenced to 15 years behind bars in 2023

    News
  • (Photo by Charles McQuillan/Getty Images)
    an hour ago

    King Charles falsely announced dead by UK radio station that has issued a statement

    The station has apologized for interrupting programming and playing the British national anthem

    News
  • Getty Stock
    2 hours ago

    What happens if you overdose on Ozempic and the signs you're taking too much

    Losing weight may now be as simple as getting a GLP-1 injection every week, but most don't know the signs that they're taking too much

    News
  • Royal Caribbean responds after passenger 'sliced open' as waterslide breaks on world's biggest cruise ship
  • WHO chief shares likelihood of hantavirus spreading as all cruise passengers removed from ship
  • Man jumps off cruise ship to allegedly avoid paying $16,000 gambling debt
  • Cruise ship issues statement after passenger mysteriously dies prompting FBI investigation