• News
  • Film and TV
  • Music
  • Tech
  • Features
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Weird
  • Community
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Saudi Arabia’s finance minister addresses concerns about $1 trillion giga-project The Line

Home> News> World News

Published 17:28 1 Dec 2024 GMT

Saudi Arabia’s finance minister addresses concerns about $1 trillion giga-project The Line

The Line is a major part of Saudi Arabia's plans for NEOM

Gregory Robinson

Gregory Robinson

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: NEOM

Topics: Saudi Arabia, The Line, Money

Gregory Robinson
Gregory Robinson

Gregory is a journalist for UNILAD. After graduating with a master's degree in journalism, he has worked for both print and online publications and is particularly interested in TV, (pop) music and lifestyle. He loves Madonna, teen dramas from the '90s and prefers tea over coffee.

Advert

Advert

Advert

Saudi Arabia’s finance minister has addressed concerns about its billion dollar smart city that is currently under construction.

The Line is a linear smart city that will be powered by 100 percent renewable energy. It will be located in NEOM, an urban area being built by Saudi Arabia in Tabuk Province.

It is part of Saudi Vision 2030, an ambitious program with a lot of different social and cultural objectives.

Advert

As well as a pledge to diversify the country’s economy away from oil, project pillars include creating a ‘vibrant society that serves as the foundation for a thriving economy and an ambitious nation’.

Work has already begun on a myriad of key projects, including the Trojena alpine resort, a floating industrial district called Oxagon and The Line: a 170km-long city prioritizing people and nature.

However concerns have been raised about the NEOM project, as well as a change of leadership last month, with Aiman Al-Mudaifer named acting CEO.

An official statement read: “As NEOM enters a new phase of delivery, this new leadership will ensure operational continuity, agility and efficiency to match the overall vision and objectives of the project.

“Progress continues on all operations as planned, as we deliver the next phase of our vast portfolio of projects,” it continued, citing The Line, Trojena, the Oxagon industrial hub and more.

News of the leadership shift came after reports that plans for The Line had been scaled back. Bloomberg claimed The Line’s length had been reduced from 170km to 2.4km to be completed by 2030. Estimates for the total cost of The Line are as high as $1 trillion.

An entirely glass mirror exterior is planned for The Line (Neom)
An entirely glass mirror exterior is planned for The Line (Neom)

There’s a lot riding on this project as you can probably imagine. And now, finance minister Mohammed Al Jadaan has described NEOM as a ‘very long-term program’ and said returns should not be expected in the coming years.

"Neom is a 50-plus-year plan. If anyone is thinking NEOM in its grand size is going to be built and operated and making money in five years, that's foolish. We are not foolish. We are wise people," he said on Tuesday as reported by Reuters.

"Some projects within Neom will make returns in the short to medium term, but this is a very long-term program."

Meanwhile, Giles Pendleton, the Chief Operating Officer for The Line, shared on LinkedIn shots that provide an insight into The Line’s progress so far.

He wrote in the post: "How to answer the naysayers about the incredible work being done in NEOM? Show a cross section of the world's largest building site from the mountains to the sea."

The pictures, which appear to have been taken via a drone or helicopter, show a very complex building plan.

Choose your content:

an hour ago
3 hours ago
  • Fox43 News/YouTube
    an hour ago

    86-year-old farmer rejects $15 million offer from AI data center to sell his land and makes his own deal

    Mervin Raudabaugh has farmed the land for 50 years

    News
  • Getty Stock Images
    an hour ago

    Doctor reveals what happens when you smoke a single cigarette and impact it has on your body

    That 'just one' cigarette might not be as harmless as you think

    News
  • Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty
    an hour ago

    Six companies linked to Sarah Ferguson shut down as her relationship with Epstein surfaces

    Applications to shut down the businesses have been filed with Companies House in the UK

    News
  • Chip Somodevilla/Getty
    3 hours ago

    'Targeted' attack on Trump-Kennedy Center sees ice rink doused in ‘toxic chemicals’

    The Trump-Kennedy Center was forced to cancel a performance after chemicals were spread across one of the institution's venues

    News
  • Major update to Saudi Arabia’s ‘$1 trillion giga project’ The Line as new plans revealed
  • How Trump's tariffs could affect Saudi Arabia giga-project The Line as new projected cost reaches $8,800,000,000,000
  • Bosses of Saudi Arabia’s The Line address worries for $1,000,000,000,000 city surrounded by glass in 102F heat
  • Saudi Arabia’s $1 trillion giga-project The Line reaches new milestone after reports that 21,000 workers had died