The Metropolitan Police confirmed that multiple charges have been brought against comedian Russell Brand.
Police said Brand had been charged with a count of rape, one count of indecent assault, one count of oral rape and two counts of sexual assault.
Jaswant Narwal, of the Crown Prosecution Service, spoke of the charges and how the evidence was collected against the 49-year-old.
He said: “We have today authorised the Metropolitan Police to charge Russell Brand with a number of sexual offences.
“We carefully reviewed the evidence after a police investigation into allegations made following the broadcast of a Channel 4 documentary in September 2023.
“We have concluded that Russell Brand should be charged with offences including rape, sexual assault and indecent assault.
Police have been investigating Russell Brand following accusations made in a 2023 documentary (Lester Cohen/Getty Images for The Recording Academy) “These relate to reported non-recent offences between 1999 and 2005, involving four women.
“He will appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court for a first hearing on Friday May 2 2025.
“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds everyone that criminal proceedings are active, and the defendant has the right to a fair trial.
“It is extremely important that there be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice these proceedings.”
According to a press release by the Met Police on April 4, it is alleged that in 1999 a woman was raped in the Bournemouth area, in 2001 a woman was indecently assaulted in the Westminster area of London, in 2004 a woman was orally raped and sexually assaulted in the Westminster area of London and between 2004 and 2005, a woman was sexually assaulted in the Westminster area of London.
The Metropolitan Police officer who has been leading the investigation into Brand, Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy, has also issued a statement following the news of charges being brought against the celebrity.
Brand is set to appear in court on May 5 (Leon Neal/Getty Images) He said: “The women who have made reports continue to receive support from specially trained officers.
“The Met's investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police. A dedicated team of investigators is available via email at [email protected].
“Support is also available by contacting the independent charity, Rape Crisis at 24/7 Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Line.”
If you've been affected by any of the issues in this article, you can contact The National Sexual Assault Hotline on 800.656.HOPE (4673) available 24/7. Or you can chat online via online.rainn.org Español: rainn.org/es.