unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Felon who attacked judge during sentencing now charged for attempted murder
Home>News>US News
Published 13:57 11 Feb 2024 GMT

Felon who attacked judge during sentencing now charged for attempted murder

Deobra Redden has been charged after his attack on a Las Vegas judge

Kit Roberts

Kit Roberts

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Clark County District Court

Topics: News, US News, Las Vegas, Crime

Kit Roberts
Kit Roberts

Kit joined UNILAD in 2023 as a community journalist. They have previously worked for StokeonTrentLive, the Daily Mirror, and the Daily Star.

Advert

Advert

Advert

A man who attacked a judge during a sentencing hearing has now been charged with attempted murder.

Deobra Redden, 30, went viral on social media last month after footage emerged of a sentencing hearing in Las Vegas.

Redden was seen to leap over the bench and attack Clark County District Court Judge Mary Kay Holthus.

Advert

Judge Holthus had been about to sentence Redden for an attempted battery offence on 3 January, but was interrupted by the defendant's attack.

The defendant had requested leniency in the sentence, but Judge Holthus was in the process of denying the request.

Redden responded by launching himself at the judge, and could be heard to say 'nah, f**k that b***h' as he flew over the bench.

Ushers grappled with Redden to restrain him during the assault.

A week later Judge Holthus sentenced Redden to four years in prison over the attempted battery charge.

Now, new charges have been brought against Redden in relation to the infamous incident, which went viral online.

Redden launched himself over the judicial bench.
Clark County District Court

A grand jury brought an indictment against Redden on Thursday, 8 February.

These have included a charge of attempted murder in relation to the incident.

A charge sheet alleges that he allegedly carried this out by “by grabbing her, pulling her hair, placing his hands around her throat and/or hitting her on the head by manner and means unknown.”

Redden has also been accused of “punching and/or kicking and/or pushing” a Las Vegas police officer.

Redden's foster mother Karen Springer and older sister LaDonna Daniels told reporters outside court that he has been diagnosed with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, but court records show he was deemed medically fit to stand trial.

Redden's previous criminal history includes convictions for three felonies and nine misdemeanors, most of which are in relation to violent acts, according to Clark County District Attorney Steve Wolfson.

Redden has now been charged with attempted murder.
Clark County District Court

Court documents state that Redden allegedly hit Judge Holthus' head against a wall and pulled out part of her hair during the assault.

On 3 January, Clark County Chief Judge Jerry Wiese said Judge Holthus remains 'sore and stiff but is thankful that this was not more severe'.

The judge was not the only person injured during the incident, with marshall Shane Brandon requiring 25 stitches in a cut on his face, and law clerk Michael Lasso also sustaining injuries.

Judge Wiese reflected: "This is a very unique situation, that as far as I know never happened before, with somebody Supermanning over a judicial bench."

Redden's arraignment is scheduled for 29 February.

Choose your content:

10 hours ago
11 hours ago
  • James Gilbert/Getty Images
    10 hours ago

    Kyle Busch's cause of death confirmed as sepsis after NASCAR driver died aged 41

    The family confirmed that Busch died after complications of sepsis progressing from severe pneumonia

    News

    breaking

  • Allen J. Schaben/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images
    10 hours ago

    California toxic chemical leak sparks explosion fears as 40,000 evacuated in 'crisis situation'

    Officials have warned that the tank leak in Orange County may 'spill or explode'

    News
  • Maldives President Press Office
    11 hours ago

    Expert says Maldives diving accident victims were just minutes away from reaching surface

    Finnish rescue diver Sami Paakkarinen has said the group lacked 'basic cave diving equipment'

    News
  • Getty Stock Images
    11 hours ago

    Cancer-causing chemicals hidden in many common foods, scientists discover

    It has raised concerns about long-term health risks

    News
  • Felon who attacked judge during sentencing receives prison sentence after being charged with attempted murder
  • Police make terrifying discovery after raiding suspected illegal biolab in Las Vegas
  • 'Ghost' murder suspect accused of killing his best friend is arrested after 30 years on the run
  • Two reasons Alex Murdaugh won't walk free after wife and son's murder overturned