To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Nintendo issues major update on Switch 2 after it's revealed how Trump's tariffs may impact already 'ridiculous' price

Home> News> US News

Nintendo issues major update on Switch 2 after it's revealed how Trump's tariffs may impact already 'ridiculous' price

Gamers really aren't happy right now

The gaming world has been up in arms since the announcement of the Switch 2, but their frustrations might just be about to go into overdrive.

While the sequel to the beloved Nintendo Switch has been long awaited, the companies Direct showcase on April 2 garnered a mixed response.

While there has been unbelievable hype for the next games in the Mario Kart and Metroid franchises, gamers weren’t exactly happy.

Much of the criticism has been directed at the high cost of the games console and games.

As things currently stand, the Nintendo Switch 2 by itself will set you back $449.99 - so hardly chump change.

But on top of this, the games itself are rumored to be at least $70 with Mario Kart World expected to retail at $79.99. Those poor wallets.

The Nintendo Switch 2 will be available for purchase on June 5 (Nintendo)
The Nintendo Switch 2 will be available for purchase on June 5 (Nintendo)

But to make matters worse, Nintendo has now issued a statement saying pre-orders won’t be going ahead right away due to the fluctuating economic situation in the US.

The statement read: “Pre-orders for Nintendo Switch 2 in the U.S. will not start April 9, 2025 in order to assess the potential impact of tariffs and evolving market conditions. Nintendo will update timing at a later date. The launch date of June 5, 2025 is unchanged."

This news comes only a few days after Donald Trump announced a slew of global tariffs.

It is not clear whether the price already announced by Nintendo had already factored in the tariffs that Trump had been warning about.

As you can imagine, on social media people didn’t take this news particularly well, using it as an opportunity to fire off at both Nintendo and Trump.

Trump unveiled major tariffs for nations earlier this week (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)
Trump unveiled major tariffs for nations earlier this week (Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

One user said: “I'm gonna be serious here, people always praised Nintendo for having smaller games with moderate budgets, and yet they're the first to increase game prices to $80/$90?! This is ridiculous."

Another said: “This is horrible and sad for gamers and consumers in general. Awful start to the year.”

With a third adding: “Its funny, how yesterday, every fanboy saw their price and was claiming the tariffs were responsible. Now they have basically said: ‘Nah dog, we didn't even factor that in yet.'"

While a sceptic commented: “We are trying to figure out if we can raise the price another $50 and blame it on ‘tariffs."

While another simply said: “All my excitement is gone right now this feels awful.”

Featured Image Credit: Nintendo

Topics: Gaming, Nintendo, Nintendo Switch, Donald Trump