unilad homepage
unilad homepage
  • News
    • UK News
    • US News
    • World News
    • Crime
    • Health
    • Money
    • Sport
    • Travel
  • Music
  • Technology
  • Film and TV
    • News
    • DC Comics
    • Disney
    • Marvel
    • Netflix
  • Celebrity
  • Politics
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • SPORTbible
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
TikTok
YouTube
Submit Your Content
Malaysia may renew hunt for mysteriously missing flight MH370 as search update is given
Home>News>World News
Published 08:41 4 Mar 2024 GMT

Malaysia may renew hunt for mysteriously missing flight MH370 as search update is given

The flight went missing nearly ten years ago.

Niamh Shackleton

Niamh Shackleton

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Nicolas Economou/NurPhoto via Getty Images / Mohd Samsul Mohd Said/Getty Images

Topics: News, World News, Technology

Niamh Shackleton
Niamh Shackleton

Niamh Shackleton is an experienced journalist for UNILAD, specialising in topics including mental health and showbiz, as well as anything Henry Cavill and cat related. She has previously worked for OK! Magazine, Caters and Kennedy.

X

@niamhshackleton

Advert

Advert

Advert

While it's almost a decade on from the disappearance of flight MH370, the Malaysian government haven't given up all hope.

March 8 will mark the tenth anniversary of the Malaysia Airlines flight going missing, and it's whereabouts continue to remain a mystery.

There were 227 passengers and 12 crew members on board the flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, China at the time.

Advert

There have been dozens of theories over the years about what really happened that fateful day in 2014 and the location of the wreckage; with one naval officer even suggesting that the plane was never found because of issues of bureaucracy and information.

Meanwhile, French journalist Florence de Changy - who has been writing a book on the missing flight - has recently questioned if the flaperon discovered in Mauritius in 2015 was even that of flight MH370.

In the wake of no definitive answer ever being found, the Malaysian government have now confirmed that it's considering resuming the search.

On Sunday (March 3), it was announced that a US technology firm Ocean Infinity have suggested doing a fresh search in the southern Indian Ocean.

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 disappeared in 2014.
How Foo Yeen/Getty Images

Malaysia's Transport Minister Anthony Loke says the robotics firm have suggested a 'no find, no fee' exploration of the area, and is set to meet with Ocean Infinity to evaluate its apparent new scientific evidence.

What the new evidence is remains unclear.

If the findings are credible, Loke will look to get Cabinet approval to sign a new contract with the company.

Ocean Infinity previously searched the area in 2018.

"We are ready and we have finalised the proposal, and we are ready to discuss the proposal," Loke said of the pending renewed partnership with Ocean Infinity.

"As I’ve mentioned numerous times, as far as the Malaysian government is concerned, we are committed to that search and the search must go on," he added.

Apparently the government have shown 'no reluctance' to the prospect of continuing to search for flight MH370.

Malaysia's Transport Minister Anthony Loke said they are 'committed' to finding MH370.
Adli Ghazali/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

Tony Abbott was serving as Australia’s prime minister at the time of the Malaysia Airlines disappearance, and he shared that early on into the investigation it was suggested that the plane went down as a result of a murder-suicide.

There were six Australians onboard the flight when it went down.

"Aircraft do not do that kind of thing that that aircraft did, unless someone is at the controls," he told Sky News Australia in 2020.

"My understanding, my very, very clear understanding from the very top levels of the Malaysian government is that from very, very early on, they thought it was murder-suicide by the pilot."

This has never been confirmed, however.

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • (Photo by Kent NISHIMURA / AFP via Getty Images)
    an hour ago

    Trump 'concerned' about Ebola outbreak and places travel restrictions after American tests positive

    The person who tested positive is due to be taken to Germany along with six high risk contacts

    News
  • Just Giving
    an hour ago

    Woman, 21, took her own life after 'vegan diet led to delusional beliefs'

    A vegan diet was blamed for Georgina Owen's tragic death after a deficiency in her diet caused her to develop serious mental health issues

    News
  • K.C. Alfred / The San Diego Union-Tribune via Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Hate speech allegedly found on San Diego mosque shooters weapon as chilling details emerge

    Five were left dead, including the suspects, following the shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego

    News
  • Getty Stock
    3 hours ago

    Enhanced Games athletes can 'break' world records by doping and land huge payouts

    Competitors will be allowed to chug a number of banned drugs and wear what they like at the upcoming 'Enhanced Games'

    News
  • Update on search for MH370 as government resumes investigation 11 years after plane’s disappearance
  • Three most plausible MH370 theories as government resumes search for missing plane 11 years after disappearance
  • Global search underway for 30 cruise passengers who left ship following hantavirus outbreak
  • Search for missing MH370 plane to restart based on ‘credible’ proposal, says Malaysia