
Warning: This article contains discussion of domestic violence which some readers may find distressing.
Nicolas Cage's son Weston will avoid prison after facing two felony assault charges for allegedly attacking his mom.
Yesterday (April 3), Weston Coppola Cage was granted a two-year mental health diversion program after allegedly attacking his mother, Christina Fulton, alongside a friend last year.
Advert
Fulton claimed her son 'almost took [her] life' on April 28, 2024, allegedly calling her to say he was 'setting his apartment on fire' and then 'snapping' when she came to meet him, allegedly grabbing her by her hair, shoving her to the floor and 'crushing' and 'suffocating' her.
Weston's mom says he then attacked his best friend before coming back to slam her, stand on her neck and strangle her, Weston's friend 'risking his life to save [her]'.
Fulton begged the court to ensure her son 'gets the help he deserves' and Los Angeles County Judge Enrique Monguia stated it's 'obvious he was suffering a breakdown at the time'.

Advert
Ordering Weston to complete a two-yeah mental health diversion program, Judge Monguia said at a morning hearing, as quoted by Rolling Stone: "Mr. Cage does suffer from an eligible mental health disorder. I’m satisfied it was a significant factor in the commission of the charged offenses.
"It’s obvious he was suffering a breakdown at the time."
Fulton reportedly attended the hearing and supported her son avoiding a prison sentence and being handed a diversion program instead.
Weston's lawyer Michael A. Goldstein said: "He [Weston] hasn’t felt this good in years. He’s in a good head space, about to get married. He moved away from the location living in before and is definitely making progress."
Advert
The judge reportedly said if Weston takes part in the program and abides by his doctors, the case could be dismissed in April 2027.
The judge's decision regarding the two felony assault charges Weston faced follows Fulton suing Cage over their son's alleged attack on her.

Fulton sued Cage for negligent supervision and negligent undertaking, claiming Cage was aware of 'Weston's history and nevertheless failed to take action to prevent Weston from committing acts of violence and harming others', such as drinking with him and allegedly promoting his 'substance abuse history'.
Advert
The lawsuit added: "Nicolas knew or should have known that Weston posed a serious and imminent danger to others, including Plaintiff, based on his documented history of violent assaults, substance abuse, and mental instability."
A spokesperson for the actor previously told LADbible Group: "The allegations by Christina Fulton against Nicolas Cage are absurd and frivolous. Weston Coppola is a 34-year-old man. Mr. Cage does not control Weston's behavior in any manner and is not responsible for Weston's alleged assault of his mother."
While Cage has since been dismissed from the lawsuit, she is still suing her son for assault, battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress and negligent infliction of emotional distress, according to court documents.
Court documents state Fulton says she sustained injuries from her son's alleged attack including a concussion, multiple bruises, a 'disfiguring eye injury', dental trauma, as well as PTSD and other psychological damages.
Topics: Nicolas Cage, US News, Mental Health